When working on a timeline to complete a remodeling or construction project, one of the first choices I make is plumbing. WHY? Because the valves for showers need to be decided so that they are installed before sheetrock goes up in a shower. The kitchen sink needs to be decided so it can be ordered early if it is a special order sink or a template can be sent to the countertop fabricator to cut the sink hole. Sometimes clients don't like being tied down to a decision so early in the process, but in order to "Design With a Deadline", this important decision must come early in the process.
So, how do you decide when there are so many choices? I use a check list like this one:
- What is the style of your bath? Contemporary, Traditional, Artistic
- What style of sink will you have? Under mount or vessel
- What finish do you want to use? Silver, bronze, brass (there are also options in each of these categories)
- Are you replacing shower tile? If so, we can start fresh. If not, we need to work with what exists or at least use the same manufacturer if we are only replacing shower trims and not valves (which requires tearing out tile).
- What is the style of your kitchen?
- What type of sink do you prefer? Single bowl/double bowl, stainless or porcelain, under mount or farmhouse?
- What finishes do you want to use in the kitchen for lighting, plumbing and hardware?
- Cabinetry stained or painted? Believe it or not, this matters as to the colors for finishes and how they will work in the space against the largest component in the kitchen - cabinetry.
By answering these questions, you have narrowed your choices by at least 50%. From here we can then begin by looking at inspiration photos and narrow them even more.
At this point, you will have 2 - 3 options from which to choose and then (and only then) do we discuss price range for your choices and allow that to be the final editing factor.
The plumbing selection allows both designer and client to begin seeing a design style come together and you can begin building a vision after those are made. While they are the jewelry in the space, they are also a foundation for the style of the space.
Have you had a particular plumbing dilemma? Please email your question to email@example.com and I will be happy to answer it here on the blog.